Here’s my very simple recipe for making your own Valentine’s Day cookies using my Sensational Sugar Cookie Dough. Our cookie dough is mixed and ready to go. You don’t have to measure anything out – no mixing, no mess, just great cookies!
What you’ll need: Sensational Sugar Cookie Dough, gluten-free flour (I use rice flour), rolling pin, heart shaped cookie cutters, parchment paper, baking pan.
Step 1 – Thaw the cookie dough by taking it out of the freezer and putting it in the refrigerator for several hours, or putting it on the counter until soft enough to handle (generally about an hour).
Step 2 – Spread some rice flour onto a flat surface and roll the cookie dough in the flour. I use a large cutting board. Add a little more flour at a time as needed to prevent sticking. Don’t overdo the flour or the cookie dough will become too dry and hard to handle.
Step 3 – Roll out the cookie dough to your desired thickness. I usually make it about 1/4 or 1/2 inch thick.
Step 4 – Take your cookie cutters and cut out your favorite shapes.
Step 5 – Place the cut out cookie dough onto a parchment-lined baking pan.
Step 6 – Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 10-15 minutes depending on the size of the cookies and how soft or crispy you would like them to be. Less cooking time will result in softer cookies.
Step 7 – Let the cookies cool on a cooling rack. Eat them plain for a delicious shortbread taste or decorate with your favorite (homemade) frosting and other edible decorations.
Notes: There are so many creative ways to make your own cookies. Here are a few ideas:
- add food coloring to the dough itself before baking or to the frosting.
- frost and decorate with sprinkles, colored sugar, etc.
- melt chocolate and dip the cookies in chocolate. refrigerate and eat.
- make sandwich cookies – just put frosting on one cookie and top it with another cookie. refrigerate and eat.
- make ice cream sandwich cookies – scoop ice cream on one cookie and top it with another cookie. freeze and eat.
Create your own special cookies and send us your recipes so that we can share them with others!