This is a really fun dish to make and to eat. It’s a very flexible recipe. You can use any vegetables you like. If you want to make it into a vegetarian dish, you can substitute tofu for the chicken. If you prefer steak, you can substitute it for the chicken. Personally we love it with chicken. It can get a little messy eating with your fingers, which we like, so we keep forks close by. The preparation time for this dish is what takes time, approximately 20 minutes. Cooking takes another 15-20 minutes.
- Chicken (Buy any type of chicken you like. Skinless pieces of breast meat, thigh meat or tenderloins will be easiest to cut up)
- Firm head(s) of lettuce with big leaves such as iceberg or romaine
- Olive Oil
- Peel leaves of lettuce off and put onto a platter. Cut intosmall pieces for bite sized portions, or use large leaves for meal size portions.
- Cut chicken into small cubes or strips, set aside.
- Cut up your favorite vegetables into bite sized pieces. We’ve used: Onions, Broccoli, Carrots, Zucchini, Peppers
- Saute onions in olive oil until soft
- Steam remaining vegetables on medium heat until they are partially cooked, approximately 10 minutes
- Cook chicken on medium heat in skillet with olive oil, approximately 10 minutes, until no longer pink.
- Add in onion and steamed vegetables.
- Add spices to taste, such as salt, pepper, seasoned salt, paprika, rosemary, thyme, etc.
- Transfer chicken and vegetables into casserole dish andallow people to scoop into lettuce leaves. Fold and eat.
- Scoop tablespoonfuls of chicken and vegetables into lettuceleaves and put on platter for people to eat.
Tips & Ideas
- Use any vegetables you like.
- Add gluten-free soy sauce or teriyaki sauce while cookingfor an asian taste.
- Make rice and add to chicken and vegetables dish before scooping into leaves.